The Story of N’s Birth


What an eventful week leading up to her birth.

You can read the progression of the “induction” that wasn’t to be here, then here and finally here.

Friday (10/10) night, while at our friends’ house, after all of the drama, I started losing my mucous plug and having contractions. So, I sat down, put my feet up and drank tons of water. The contractions went away. I kept losing more “plug” all weekend.

Saturday (10/11), Mr. Serious and David stayed with the kids and watched football while Marty and I went double stroller shopping and made a trip to Ikea. There was a lot of walking involved.

Sunday (10/12), I was dreading going to church. We had told many people about the impending induction, so I knew they were going to be surprised to see us. Everybody asked how much longer, said we looked ready, and everything else. I asked Mr. Serious to field all baby related questions. I was D-O-N-E!

Sunday after #1’s nap, we went and walked the neighborhood. And walked and walked and walked. I was determined to get The Sequel out! We came home, had some dinner, and put #1 to bed.

I went upstairs and took a long bath. I even lit some candles for myself and just relaxed. Then, I came downstairs to sit with Mr. Serious. I was still in just my towel after my bath (I was so hot and uncomfortable in clothes at this point). I was downstairs for about and hour.

I got up and went to the kitchen for something…I’m not sure what, and I felt a trickle run down my leg. I thought I was peeing on myself, but then, it wouldn’t stop. There I was at 9:30pm standing in my kitchen over a puddle of amniotic fluid. My lovely hubby cleaned it up for me.

We then called the doctor’s office to see what to do. I wasn’t having contractions, just the water breaking to indicate I was in labor. The water kept leaking and leaking every time I moved.

Starting at 9:41pm, I started to have contractions that were around 3-7 minutes apart. At 10:00, the nurse called and said I should head to the hospital because I had tested positive for Strep B and needed to make sure I got all of the necessary antibiotics.

We didn’t want to rush in. My platelets at the last test were only 91,000 and I knew if they were still low, I couldn’t get an epidural. And, I also knew that I was likely going to have to have pitocin because my body doesn’t make progress with my contractions. We were both a little nervous about this combination.

So, we took our time, got all of our bags and everything in the car, woke #1 up and drove her over to the Montes’.

During this time, my contractions weren’t really regular, but I knew they were coming.

We arrived at the hospital at 11:30pm where the nurses proceeded to ask me if I was being induced because I didn’t look like I was in labor.

At 11:49pm we were in a room and ready to be hooked up to the monitor. We answered the myriad of questions and filled out several forms (while having more regular contractions).

Monday (10/13) morning, at 1:00am, my IV was started with antibiotics and fluids. They also drew lab work to check my platelets. They checked me and I wasn’t dilated at all. The nurse even ordered an ultrasound to make sure #2 was head down (because she said she couldn’t feel it). This was extra surprising because all of the midwives and doctors for the passed two weeks said I was dilated to 1 cm and they could feel her head.

Contractions continue, but they still aren’t regular. I would get into a pattern, and then they would stop, or shorten, or lengthen. Good news, my platelets were 111,000 so we could get an epidural. We had to move quickly or the anesthesiologist would want to check them again.

The midwife says we should start pitocin.

At 3:45am, the ultrasound is performed and #2 is in fact head down. Nurse Jenny wanted to start the pitocin and I asked very strongly that I get the epidural first. She says she’ll start the pitocin slowly, and I ask again. She says okay (reluctantly) because I’m having regular contractions (whew…that was a close one…Mr. Serious was very proud of me)!

At 4:15am, I get my epidural. It was perfect. I didn’t go completely numb. My legs were just heavy and tingly, but I could still move them.

At 4:19am, the pitocin was started and continued to be fine tuned for perfect contractions.

I tried to nap…Mr. Serious was out. At 6:30 nurse Jenny came and checked my progress and I was 3cm. I thought, that’s pretty good, maybe we’ll have a baby by dinner time.

Mr. Serious woke up around 7:30 am and we both brushed our teeth. He headed out to grab some breakfast. Then he came back because he forgot his wallet.

Then, he was off again. Around this time, I really started feeling pressure. I told the new nurse, Lanese, and she checked me. Sure enough , I was completely dilated at 7:55am. I was shocked. I called Mr. Serious and told him he needed to get his breakfast to go.

He came back to the room and they were getting it all set up for me to push. The midwife came in, told me to do a practice push and then said to stop. “We’re going to have a baby very soon.”

It was so fast we didn’t even think to get the camera out. I started pushing at 8:10am. There were three rounds of contractions (during one of which I had to stop because she had her hand up in front of her head) and six minutes later at 8:16am, #2 Grace arrived.

It certainly was a very different birth than #1 and so much easier and faster. We couldn’t believe how fast she came.

Welcome to the world sweet #2!

Similar Posts


  1. OH how sweet!!!! BIG HUGE congratulations! I am so glad the birth was such a relatively easy and happy experience this time.

    And, funny, but you know I must have been through that just a few times because I sat here, reading about your mucous plug and amniotic fluid while chomping on cookies. Didn’t faze me a bit.

    SHE IS A DOLL BABY!! Oh these babies…they always make me question whether we really are done. I really miss those days – yes, all of it.

  2. Oh, how sweet she is!

    I am always a sucker for a birth story…and here I am with happy tears 🙂

    I am such a sap!

    Congrats, Krystyn. You have such a beautiful family, honey!

  3. so glad everything went well.
    again, she is beautiful!

  4. a wonderful birth story friend!

    and a perfectly wonderful, sweet baby 🙂

  5. I love how the story went from slow to HELLO shes here! Im so happy she finally made her debut! She is beautiful!

  6. I read this a few days ago on your family blog and I am still amazed it went so smoothly (the push part). I’m jealous. And I hope it’s like that for me one day whenever we have #2!

  7. Congrats again! She really loves her mama to take it so easy on you 🙂

  8. Wow! Great story! You make it sound so easy! lol She is too adorable!

  9. That is a great birth story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    Have I told you how much I love the name N? I LOVE it!


  10. I had little man out in three pushes. It is amazing how fast the second one can go, thank god!

  11. what an amazing story!!! you for you for standing up for yourself, you know your body best. i am so glad that everything went well, and again, she is so beautiful!!

  12. says:

    OOOO GREAT GREAT that it was fast! I have yet to get what I have to get in the mail for you but hey you are home on Maternity LEAVE it will come before you go back to work.

  13. I love a good birth story! Glad this time was faster and easier.

  14. Aww what a wonderful story! Your girls will love to hear about this when they are older! I’m so glad you had a good experience! It’s funny, things started happening fast for me when my hubby left for food too! Okay, I know my little guy is only three months old . . . but reading your story makes me want to have another one! You are so lucky to have your two girls to spoil and snuggle! Enjoy them each day! 🙂

  15. Why is it they always, always want to come when the dad is getting food? Or is it just that the dads are always getting food?

    Glad you had an easy (as easy as it can be I guess) time after all the induction drama.

  16. Not much sleep, but what a beautiful outcome of that night. Thank heaven for cell phones and breakfasts to go!


  17. That was just perfect!! So glad to hear that the platelets were up, and all ended well.

    And seriously, you could just put pictures of her up everyday. She is so cute!!!

  18. Congrats:) She very cute!!

  19. The Gerster Family says:

    Wonderful story! Such a beautiful ending to a rough beginning! I hope my second comes as quickly (without all the beginning drama) 🙂

  20. ummmhello says:

    I love, love, love birth stories! Being a mom myself means I know just how exciting it all can be – AND just how much it means to be able to get an epidural! Congratulations to you 🙂

  21. Oh thanks for sharing! I LOVE hearing about “real, natural” birth experiences (mine were both c-sections)!! And how cools is that – an easy/quick delivery! I love how relaxed you were about the whole thing.

  22. she is so beautiful. I’m glad that you had an easier time this time.

    I only have a minute on my son’s computer but I wanted to say hi and let you know I am thinking of you.

    Have a good week

  23. I love a good birth story and I love that you were able to go into labor on your own. She’s such a little blessing and I don’t think I’ve said yet that I also love her name but I do! 🙂

    Can you feel all my love? ; )

  24. Thanks for sharing the story…I love reading birth stories! 🙂 And yeah, I was SOOO surprised how much faster and easier my 2nd baby came compared to my first one too! Let’s hope the 3rd one is even easier! haha. 🙂 btw…that’s a CUTE CUTE CUTE picture of N!

  25. Mrs de Miranda says:

    awww she is soo beautiful and I love your story! I am so excited to start a family (one day)! Did you ever post about Izzy’s birth??

  26. She’s so adorable. And, that is one very fast labor. Thank heaven for the ability to have the epidural. I don’t think I could go the natural route. No way.

  27. She’s precious, and I love, love, love her birth story. I’m glad things went smoothly for you. YAY!!

  28. And what a sweet little muffin she is!!! Oh yes, my baby fever is RAGIN’ HA HA!!

  29. What an awesome baby story, everything went perfect, even if it didn’t seem for you like it was going to throughout the pregnancy!

    I’m so happy for you~

  30. wow! how fast did that go?? I am praying my guys that fast! she is just beautiful Krystyn! i am so happy for you!

  31. HI stalked over to say HOPE all is going good for you guys!!!! Take care

  32. After hearing SO many scary birth stories, yours makes me not quite so terrified to have babies. 🙂 She is just a doll!

  33. Jennifer Shirk says:

    What a sweet picture! Congrats!

    (saw you over at The Wife, The Mommy and everything in between)

  34. that sounds a lot like my second one. Congrats again, and she is still just absolutely beautiful!.

  35. Yeah! Congratulations. I hope you are getting some sleep and settling in. I am so happy that it went well. Enjoy your little one. She is beautiful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *